Thursday, January 30, 2014

WERA NOLA/Mid Central Region Season Opener

I put in alot of work this offseason to prepare for my 2014 campaign. My motto is "2014 is my year"! I say it before I leave the house every morning. It showed at the track this past weekend for the season opener. I was focused on the task at hand and set goals for the weekend. The weather did not cooperate on Friday. I was stuck on the north side of Lake Ponchatrain (as so many others were stuck trying to get to the track). I would not even get to turn a lap on a brand new bike, which proved critical, not only in the first race, but the entire weekend. I was ready and took my warm up lap at race pace as usual. I was a little nervous launching this bike with no practice, but I got it right the first time and shot out of the starting grid. I had a solid lead exiting the esses, but pushed wide and clipped the curbing in the kink leading to turn 13. That sent me off into the wet grass. I was in 4th gear so carrying that much speed was too much and eventually I slid down the track for several hundred feet before coming to a stop. I was able to pick the bike up, retech and finish the race. B Superbike would be a different race. I led flag to flag but could hear those Daytona 675's behind me. C Superstock would be the main race and I was looking forward to a good battle. I would have one early on as me and Ron Rink would exchange the lead position a few times. Eventually, I would make the mistake of flicking the bike too hard from right to left in the cold conditions and lost the front in the esses. Again, I was lucky enough to pick the bike up and finish the race to keep my season goals of a championship alive. The final race of the day was B Superbike. It was cold and windy and the sun was dropping. In fact, I think I ran the last two laps in the dark and couldnt barely see. Kudos to the WERA crew and staff for getting 15 races in in just over 4 hours time. And also to the racers and cornerworkers for not causing any major delays.


I wouldnt consider that my best day of racing but it was still a step in the right direction. Sunday I wouldn't be able to finish any races due to a crash an injury. I feel really blessed. I feel like God's hands were over me this entire weekend. I know most people are wondering how can I think that way with three crashes and a separated shoulder. Well, if you have seen the video you know it could have been alot worse. A friend and competitor, Kurt Miller, told me Sunday afternoon, "The highest of highs are followed by the lowest of lows which are followed by the highest of highs."

I am not new to adversity and it's not new to me. This weekend is proof that you have to be mentally strong in this sport and prepared for anything. I have asked God to use me and especially through roadracing. And God did this weekend. Some might not get it, but it's really for me to get. When we ask God for something, we have to be mentally prepared for his answer. Fortunate for me, he answered in my favor while testing me to see if I am up to the challenge.

I have to thank the following people for their support: God, my parents, Chilipepper Racing, srsigndesign.com, Axo, Nexx, Vortex, Hotbodies, Spy, ReplayXD, Motul, Galfer, Lenny Albin, LPUSA

If anyone would like to donate to help me get back on track you can contact me directly to discuss via email: dean@gofast-dontcrash.com, cell 281-798-8086 or www.gofundme.com/gofastdontcrash

or you can contact Chris Richardson and donate via the American Childhood Cancer Association and Chilipepper Racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment